Mission: Implement the vision, direction, and policies established by the Parish Administrator.
Function of work: The Administrative Assistant will report directly to the Parish Administrator and will assist in the day-to-day operations of the office as well as the communication platforms of the parish. We are looking for someone who has a welcoming personality and is self-directed, organized and a flexible team player. This candidate will demonstrate professionalism, the ability to multitask, answer phones, greet members and interact with visitors. They will possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, computer expertise with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, and Publisher especially), Google email, familiarity with communication platforms, and an ability to learn other programs and software. The optimal candidate will also be an individual who demonstrates a high level of discretion over confidential matters.
Level of work: Part-time
Reporting/Relationships: The Administrative Assistant will report directly to the Parish Administrator and will assist the parish clergy as needed.
Duties and responsibilities (include, but not limited to):
- Opening and closing the building and office.
- Answering the telephone, routing calls and recording messages and ensuring that a volunteer is available to assume this function if out of the office. Answering the telephone is a critical function for this position.
- Making sure that telephone recordings are up to date for religious holidays and scheduled absences with no volunteer coverage.
- Welcoming visitors and guests and escorting them to the parties they intend to visit.
- Making appointments as requested for parish business.
- Make calls on behalf of clergy, the parish administrator, parish council president or others as necessary.
- Preparing and processing sacrament paperwork.
- Preparing and typing reports as needed and requested by the Parish Administrator.
- Maintaining all office inventory (papers, pens, pencils, envelopes, labels, copier, mailing, etc.) Re-ordering as necessary.
- Answering inquiries pertaining to parish services, ministries and community organizational activities.
- Preparing the necessary notations and memos for the clergy when requests are made for prayers.
- Scheduling memorial requests from parishioners?
Communications and Technology
- Managing and maintaining the parish database (Parish Data Systems) for new stewards, relocations, deaths, etc.
- Running reports from the parish database, under the direction of the Parish Administrator.
- Telephoning or communicating via email any appropriate message on behalf of the parish administrator.
- Receiving and distributing mail appropriately.
- Completing Weekly Sunday Bulletin- organizing information, compiling rough draft, proofreading, finalizing and distributing electronically under the direction of the Parish Administrator.
- Completing the monthly newsletter.
- Assisting of editing the articles for the weekly Sunday bulletin and email update, monthly newsletter and calendar, as well as parish registry, and any other articles that need typing as requested by parish clergy, the parish administrator, the parish council president and all the ministries and organizations.
- Creating and sending weekly update emails through MailChimp or Constant Contact (training will be provided).
- Maintaining bulletin boards throughout church.
- Maintaining outreach table
- Assisting in parish mailings per the direction of the Parish Administrator.
- Transporting and mailing all bulk mailing material to the central Post Office in Glenview.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- High degree of organization, attention to detail, and ability to create organizational systems.
- General knowledge and understanding of office procedures.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain positive rapport with a wide variety of internal and external customers/parishioners.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and resolve problems independently.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Word, Google Email, Publisher and Excel programs.
- Ability to manage time efficiently in order to ensure paperwork and regular duties are on time and completed correctly.
- Ability to work with others with a team spirit.
- Demonstrated ability to operate standard office equipment including but not limited to computers, typewriters, copiers, and calculators.
- Ability to multi-task and handle a fast-paced environment.
Working Conditions/Physical demands:
- Limited local travel within the parish area.
- Interact with a range of personalities and diverse individuals.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Working independently.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience is required.
- Prior secretarial or administrative experience with very strong computer skills.
- English fluency required.
- Familiarity with the practices and traditions of the Greek Orthodox Church is preferred.
- Professional demeanor and presentation with strong interpersonal skills.
- Candidates must be able to document that they are citizens of the United States, or that they are otherwise eligible for employment in the United States.
- Please include a resume indicating past work experience.
- Please provide three references of persons you have worked with, along with phone numbers and e-mail and postal addresses, if possible. At least one of these should be a former manager or supervisor.
The above information should be sent to Sandra Glisic at email@example.com