FOCUS Executive Director
Location: Pittsburgh, PA preferred
FOCUS North America is a national movement of Orthodox Christians, united in faith and joined by a desire to provide action-oriented and sustainable solutions to poverty in communities across America. FOCUS has operations and youth volunteer experiences in more than 50 cities in the United States.
All of FOCUS North America’s services are provided without discrimination of any kind. We do not require any faith commitment from anyone we help. We exist solely to transform the lives of the homeless and poor in America, moving them from dependency to self-sufficiency, by providing food, occupation, clothing, understanding and shelter.
Successful candidate will be closely aligned with the goals of FOCUS, with experience serving those in need.
The FOCUS Executive Director is responsible for the execution of board-approved strategy, donor cultivation and development, and operational and financial management of the Organization. He/she directly oversees the Deputy Director, Director of Development and CFO. He/she reports directly to the FOCUS Board of Directors and maintains an advisory relationship with the Board Chair.
The FOCUS North America Executive Director is a full-time employment opportunity with benefits (vacation, health insurance, 403b retirement plan, continuing education).
- Submit Resume with References via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidates will be contacted by FOCUS within 2 weeks of application submission, if they are being considered for the position
- Report directly to the National Board to ensure programs are Board approved and continually comply with FOCUS goals while keeping the Board abreast of current activities
- Ensure that consistent and timely reports on program activities and problems encountered are provided to the Board of Directors
- Ex-officio, non-voting member of all Board committees, ensuring proper understanding of FOCUS operations are taken into account in committee deliberations.
- Participate in a FOCUS service activity at least once a quarter.
- Ensure that FOCUS NA policy decisions are implemented
- Frequent travel required (donor and other stakeholder engagement, center support, etc.)
- Participate in the FOCUS NA strategic plan development and maintenance
- Oversee, support, supervise and provide employment reviews of the Deputy Executive Director, Director of Development and CFO to ensure financial stability and program appropriateness as per our mission
- Collaborate with the Director of Development to ensure donor maintenance and growth in order to promote the financial well- being of the organization
- Cultivation of the major donor portfolio along with the Director of Development
- Regular review of donor reporting with changes to the development plan as needed
- Cultivation and maintenance of relationships with the Board of Directors
- Cultivate and maintain relations with local Orthodox parishes, the nonprofit community, corporate and foundation Grantors, Benefactors and any relevant community development groups
- Periodic speaking engagements to community groups, parishes, and public at events sponsored by FOCUS
- Periodically visit and attend nonprofit, community development/advocacy and/or networking meetings
- Collaborate with FOCUS NA National Finance Team along with the CFO
- Review programmatic and operational budgets to be then approved by Board of Directors
- Regularly review actual financial results, budgets and forecasts with the CFO and Finance Board committee
- Ensure financial stability
- Collaborate with the Deputy Executive Director to monitor program results on a regular basis to ensure quality of service delivery
- Proactively engage with community leaders, including, but not restricted to, the Orthodox faithful, clergy and hierarchs, to promote and expand FOCUS activities
- Review monthly statistics for all programs in concert with the Deputy Executive Director
- Engage in quarterly meetings with all staff (three virtual and an annual in-person)
- Approve project proposals according to the mission of FOCUS for further presentation and approval by the Board of Directors
- Advanced communication skills (writing and speaking)
- Knowledge of social service and community development programs
- Familiarity with federal, state and local laws regarding operation of nonprofit organizations providing homeless and domestic social service/entitlement programs
- Knowledge of Orthodox Church doctrines and traditions
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher or equivalent products
- Ability to read and understand financial reports
- Service minded with cultural and local area sensitivity
- Ability to understand and work with homeless, impoverished and vulnerable communities and demographics
- Ability to build organizational relationships between FOCUS and Orthodox churches, communities and leaders
- Ability to represent FOCUS to local government officials and donors, individual and corporate representatives
- Stress tolerance during program establishment and implementation
- Capacity of critical, analytical thinking to innovatively resolve program and funding problems and to promote growth
- Foster a sense of teamwork among staff and other departments (local and national)
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Advanced organizational skills
- Frequent Travel
- Minimum three years’ experience in social service provision, nonprofit or community development work; five years preferred
- Management of staff (5 or more) and volunteers; management of a virtual team a plus
- Program Participation and Management (Food Service, Clothing Service)
- Budget Management ($100,000+/year)
- Donor Perfect knowledge a plus
- College degree, advanced degree in Social Work, Public Policy or Nonprofit Management preferred; equivalent experience will be considered
- None required, but are beneficial (social services, first-aid)