Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
New York, NY
New York, NY
The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America is a religious not-for-profit organization. “The mission of the Archdiocese is to proclaim the Gospel of Christ, to teach and spread the Orthodox Christian Faith, to energize, cultivate, and guide the life of the Church in the United States of America according to the Orthodox Christian Faith and Tradition.” The Archdiocese has an operating budget of $22,000,000.
Summary Position Description:
The Controller will be reporting to the Chief Financial Officer and will be responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring necessary financial policies, procedures, and controls to ensure proper oversight of all accounting and reporting activities. He/she is to ensure compliance will all federal and state laws. He will also work closely with the Chancellor who is the chief operating officer, Archdiocesan Leadership team, human resources, and information technology services. The Controller will supervise a team of 4 finance staff members on all day-to-day activities.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Overall financial management responsibility for ensuring compliance with appropriate accounting, reporting and regulatory standards and procedures.
- Direct the establishment and documentation of accounting policies and procedures. These policies and procedures provide operational guidelines for the Archdiocese.
- Establish procedures to ensure that all assets and liabilities of the Archdiocese are properly and accurately recorded and are regularly reconciled to supporting documentation.
- Oversee up-to-date maintenance of general ledger and interfaces to or from the general ledger.
- Implement and monitor cash and investment management procedures and ensure timely accounting and reconciliations. Ensure that investment accounting adheres to endowment donor restrictions and internal policies.
- Develop and present in an accurate and timely manner monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and budget-to-actual reports for both internal and external reporting.
- Monitor grants and grant spending to ensure expenditures comply with donor stipulations, Archdiocesan policies and spending is consistently aligned with grant budgets.
- Oversee accounting and reconciliation of related party transactions and balances.
- Take a leading role in all audits and reviews.
- Manage and supervise the implementation and provide detailed support for the evaluation and selection of general ledger software, including financial reporting systems.
- Responsible for data retention of all financial records, ensuring that all internal, external and legal requirements are met.
- At least 10 years’ experience in controllership or similar function, preferably in a not-for-profit environment.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Financial Edge.
- Strong communication and teaming skills.
- Proven ability to create and promote a positive work environment.
- $150,000 - $170,000. This position is also eligible for medical benefits and other packages.
To apply for this position, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com