IOCC Project Manager, Jordan
This position is located in Amman, Jordan
International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC) offers emergency relief and development programs to those in need worldwide, without discrimination, and strengthens the capacity of the Orthodox Church to so respond. IOCC was founded in 1992 as the primary humanitarian and relief development agency of the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the United States of America, representing a commitment to philanthropy and global cooperative involvement.
Through a variety of programming activities, IOCC’s global portfolio focuses on program services in eight core areas: (1) Agriculture and Food Security; (2) Emergency Response; (3) Education; (4) Health; (5) Water & Sanitation; (6) Economic Opportunities and Livelihoods; (7) Emotional & Spiritual Care; and, (8) Humanitarian Assistance.
In Jordan, IOCC’s program delivers services throughout the country. IOCC’s key sectors of focus are: Health (with focus on Persons with Disabilities), Livelihood, and Basic Needs. IOCC chose to focus on these areas because of the intersection of our mission and the local context. The large number of refugees in Jordan has strained the country’s infrastructure and basic public services. By pursuing these program areas, IOCC provides assistance to both refugees and local population, and helps to tackle the problems and to improve lives long term.
The Project Manager will work under the direction of the IOCC Country Representative in the programmatic, financial, and compliance management of IOCC’s project(s) in Jordan– with a particular focus on disability-related activities. The Project Manager will support the expansion of and ensure technical quality of IOCC’s work in Jordan, including implementation of project activities, development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) tools and plans, work plan development, oversight of project staff, supervision and monitoring of IOCC local partners, procedures, and regulations.
I. PROJECT MANAGER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represent IOCC in assigned coordination/working groups, forums, and meetings with donor, NGO, UN, government officials, local church, and other representatives, as appropriate.
- Under the direction of Country Representative, organize visits by donors, IOCC staff, and other guests and visitors to project sites.
Leadership and Management
- Lead timely and high-quality implementation of relief, early recovery, and development projects, as assigned, in accordance with the mission and goals of IOCC, IOCC and donor regulations, grant agreements and modifications, project timelines, work plans, and budgets to meet project objectives and serve targeted populations.
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation of assigned project(s) with frequent visits to the field and serve as the primary liaison between assigned project(s) and IOCC management.
- Monitor project agreement(s) and donor requirements, ensuring that all terms and conditions are met in a timely way and activities are in compliance with IOCC and donor policies and procedures at the highest quality.
- Accurate and timely completion of internal and external narrative and financial reports.
- Support the selection of, coordinate with, monitor, and support capacity building of IOCC’s partner organizations, local NGOs, and community-based organizations (CBOs) involved with the implementation of project activities.
- Conduct data quality assessments of project files, both programmatic and financial and of IOCC field staff and local partners, ensuring proper documentation, compliance, and files correspond with field and partner reporting; verifying project files and supporting documentation; and taking steps to address problems with data quality, if identified.
- In consultation with IOCC HQ MEAL officer, and in accordance with IOCC MEAL Policy, lead M&E of assigned projects, including development and use of proper M&E plans and tools.
- Support IOCC Jordan in strengthening its evidence base, including implementing assessments and using previously collected data, for project design and proposal development.
- Build relationships with key stakeholders to promote future business development opportunities.
- Support (and, as assigned, lead) the concept note and proposal development process from concept inception through submission, including writing and budgeting, including coordination with IOCC HQ Operations team, as outlined in IOCC Business Development Policy.
- Ensure that project activities operate within approved budget(s) and carefully monitor expenditures in coordination with project timelines.
- Support the Finance Coordinator in completion of financial reports for donors, as well as budgets for concept notes and proposals.
- In coordination with the Finance Coordinator, hold regular budget vs. actual (expenditure) review meetings with appropriate project staff.
- Support capacity development of project staff in financial management.
- Work closely with IOCC Country Representative, Finance Coordinator, Administration & Support Officer, and other relevant staff on implementation of project-related procurements, including (but not limited to) selection of appropriate suppliers and contractors, ensuring good procurement practices are followed, and alignment of actions with IOCC and donor requirements.
- Manage and supervise a team of field staff in implementation of assigned project activities.
- Support the capacity building of field staff through on-the-job coaching and mentoring, as well as developing and holding trainings for staff and local partners.
- Provide supervision, mentoring and training to local teams according to personnel management system.
- Be fully familiar with IOCC policies and procedures, and positively encourage staff to abide and comply.
- Adhere to and ensure that IOCC Jordan’s Safety & Security Plan is implemented throughout project planning, design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of IOCC and donor safety and security procedures and oversee implantation of such procedures at the field level.
- Ensure IOCC project staff adhere to all IOCC and donor mandated safety and security regulations, policies and practices; ensure adherence to those regulations and take corrective actions as required.
- Engage with key country security apparatus (UN, Embassy, host government) ensuring
- Regularly update and implement IOCC's security procedures and plans in coordination with Country Representative and HQ.
JORDAN - Country Specific
- Provide relevant, technical expertise, including technical guidance, to IOCC staff and local partners, for the planning and implementation of project activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Knowledge of key donor agencies (such as US government, EU governments, ecumenical agencies, and UN agencies) and their procedures, guidelines, policies, and compliance requirements.
- Knowledge of the Syria crisis and its impact on neighboring countries. In addition, the candidate should have and maintain an up-to-date knowledge of NGO safety and security procedures with the ability to oversee implementation of such procedures at the field level.
- Must have full computer literacy.
Skills and Abilities:
- Project-level leadership, people management, and supervisory skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, local partners, and suppliers to ensure compliance with IOCC and donor policies and procedures. Effective inter-personal communication and public relations skills with the ability to build strong personal and organizational relationships with internal and external staff, partner organizations, donors, local actors, and other contacts.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills, in particular strong English writing skills. Ability to communicate in the Arabic language is a plus.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with competing priorities, producing accurate work under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment and tenacity in observing procedures, regulations, local laws, and other requirements when implementing IOCC programs.
- Self-starter who demonstrates initiative and creativity, as well as strong problem-solving skills with the ability to analyze situations, potential problems, and issues and take appropriate steps to avoid and address (including considerations in pre-planning or implementation of country activities).
- Possess sensitivity to religious, racial, ethnic, and cultural customs and traditions in developing and administering programs, and in dealing with internal and external stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in international development or affairs, political science, or a related field required. Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- Minimum of three years’ experience working with an international NGO or donor to international relief and development programs required.
- Experience working on projects supporting persons with disabilities and/or livelihood programming, preferred.
- Experience writing reports for donors, as well as successful proposals to a variety of donors.
- Experience leading successful implementation of relief, early recovery, and/or development projects, particularly in a protracted refugee crises.
- Experience in project-level financial management and financial accountability.
- Experience leading a diverse, multicultural team of project-level staff and designing and implementing capacity development plans for staff.
Certifications and Other:
- No certifications are required.
- Unexpired valid Jordanian license or a valid foreign license with an International Driving Permit to drive in Jordan (preferred).
III. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- The person in this position will need to safely traverse the office and project sites located in Jordan, as well travel within the country with potential international travel as needed.
- This position frequently works outdoors for extended periods of time.
- This position frequently works in an office and requires dexterity to operate general office equipment.
- The person in this position will frequently communicate with peers, managers, subordinates, and clients, and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these situations.
- This position occasionally works in all outdoor weather conditions.
- This position may require bending, kneeling, crawling, standing, sitting, and walking for extended periods of time.
IV. WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- The position will be located in Jordan. Travel within the country is required with potential international travel, as needed.
- The position requires an awareness at all times of local customs and security situations and conditions.
- Professional dress, behavior, speech, and conduct are required at all times in accordance with IOCC policies.
- This job operates in both an office environment and outdoors. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
- This role will frequently work at the field or project site. In doing so, this position will occasionally work in all outdoor weather conditions and may require bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, standing, sitting, and walking for extended periods of time.
- This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict additional tasks that may be assigned.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org