Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry
The full position description can be found on the OCPM website: www.theocpm.org
The mission of Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry (OCPM) is to serve those who are incarcerated and their families, and provide resources, training and support to our ministry partners. Please look through our website to learn more about the mission and vision of OCPM (www.theocpm.org).
OCPM seeks a highly motivated and purpose-driven leader as Executive Director. The Executive Director, working with the Board of Trustees, will be responsible for crafting the organization’s strategic objectives, and effectively partnering with the board while leading and managing staff to achieve these objectives. As the organization’s senior leader and spokesperson, the Executive Director is directly responsible for overall organizational management and fundraising. Working with the Board, the Executive Director will develop best business practices for all aspects of OCPM. They will also lead the program implementation team and inspire donors to invest in growing and strengthening OCPM. The Executive Director will leverage their experience within a faith-based context to assess and maximize donor solicitation strategies, gift acknowledgment, gift administration, stewardship, and renewal strategies. OCPM does not have a central home office at this time, so the Executive Director will need to work out of his/her home office.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Organizational management and leadership
- Participate with the Board in implementing current Strategic Plan and to continue to develop OCPM’s vision and strategic direction.
- Direct the planning, development, implementation, budgeting, evaluation, and support of all organizational functions, including the management of staff.
- Regularly communicate the current initiatives, needs, and status of the organization to the Board.
- Cooperate with the Assembly of Bishops Episcopal Liaison to represent and manage OCPM’s relationship within the Assembly of Bishops and all Orthodox Christian jurisdictions.
- Coordinate and maintain positive and collaborative relationships with other Assembly of Bishops agencies.
- Foster effective team work between the Board and the Executive Director and between the Executive Director and staff
- Act as a public spokesperson for the ministry
Program planning and management
- Develop an operational plan that incorporates goals and objectives that fulfill the strategic intent of OCPM
- Develop and administer policies, standards, best practices, and safety/security measures for all operations.
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of the programs and services of OCPM to maintain or improve quality
- Oversee the planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of projects
- Ensure that the operation of OCPM meets the expectations of its clients, Board and financial supporters
Financial planning and fundraising
- Work with the Board and Board committees to prepare a comprehensive organizational budget
- Develop a giving program strategy including but not limited to campaigns, planned giving, major giving, annual appeals, grant applications and special events.
- Manage the organization’s most important individual donor relationships, working closely with the Board, ensuring timely and effective donor relationship building, strategic solicitations, and appropriate donor stewardship.
- Lead individual prospecting efforts to attract new donors to OCPM, particularly those capable of making five- to seven-figure gifts.
- Manage existing external communications, assess current efforts and available organizational capacity; recommend future communications strategies and tactics to participant, volunteer, and donor engagement.
- Preparation of OCPM’s annual report.
- Must display a growth mindset, team-first outlook and be motivated by a passion for Christ-centered prison ministry.
- Proven success in organizational leadership and staff management; experience in prison ministry preferred, but not required.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree, with 2 years of senior leadership experience and 2+ years of professional fundraising experience.
- Experience working with a board of directors for strategic planning and fundraising campaign development.
- Must have familiarity with the theology, traditions, and structure of the Orthodox Church.
- Must be able and willing to work with and include individuals from diverse backgrounds and various Orthodox jurisdictions.
- Must be authorized and eligible to work in the United States.
- Computer and technological proficiency, including office applications and social media.
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the Orthodox Church.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of OCPM.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Ability to develop new and unique ways to improve operations of OCPM and to create new opportunities.
- Ability to Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within OCPM parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance OCPM’s effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of OCPM.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of OCPM.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities
- Plan: Ability to determine strategies to move OCPM forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of OCPM.
- The Executive Director should plan to travel an average of eight days per month
Orthodox Ministry Services (OMS) has been retained for this search and prospective candidates are invited to contact OMS directly by reaching out to OCPM@orthodoxministry.org. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.