Director, Patriarch Athenagoras Orthodox Institute
The Patriarch Athenagoras Orthodox Institute (PAOI) is an affiliate of the Graduate Theological Union (GTU), an ecumenical and interreligious consortium of seminaries and academic centers in Berkeley, CA. Our mission is to educate, communicate, promote and sustain the traditions, values, teachings and culture of Orthodox Christianity.
The PAOI offers a Master of Arts in Orthodox Christian Studies, hosts academic lectures and symposia, sponsors the Orthodox Christian Fellowship at the University of California at Berkeley, and provides educational programs to the faithful of the Bay Area. The Institute is an inter-Orthodox endeavor, representing the diversity of Orthodoxy in America: Albanian, Antiochian, Bulgarian, Carpatho-Russian, Greek, OCA, Romanian, Serbian and Ukranian.
The PAOI Director will be responsible for establishing a long-term growth strategy in support of our mission. The Director will lead fundraising efforts and manage the general administration of the PAOI. The Director will foster strong partnerships with GTU faculty and leadership intended to drive program expansion.
Essential Job Functions
- Create and execute long-term growth strategies that support our mission
- Develop and lead fundraising campaigns and events to meet board approved budgeted goals
- Manage day to day operations of PAOI
- Partner with GTU leadership to support growth in student base and have responsibility for compliance on any administrative items, as necessary
- Develop academic programs that support PAOI mission
- Coordinate Orthodox campus ministry programs and explore opportunities to expand presence
- Design programs and materials that support Orthodox ministries and market these toward a source of sustainable revenue
- Present to Board of Trustees at quarterly scheduled meetings and effectively communicate regularly to the Board’s Executive Committee
Skills and Competencies
- Self-motivated and action oriented; ability to work independently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong social skills; ability to develop effective relationships and partnerships
- Solution driven; use creative and innovative approaches to solve problems
- Minimum of 5 years in a leadership role
- Knowledge of Orthodox church doctrines and traditions
- Ability to work between Orthodox churches
- Advanced degree and ability to teach graduate courses in Orthodox Studies
- Demonstrated experience working in academic setting
- Demonstrates confidence, credibility and good judgement
- Passionate and sense of urgency for execution
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter to the PAOI Search Committee at PaoiSearch@gmail.com.